Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Nostalgia: Vintage Christmas Card Countdown, No.4 Arctic Stag


Vintage Christmas Card No. 4, Arctic Stag

It is very difficult not to begin each of these posts with "this card is one of my favorites" because they each have their own story and beauty.  The "Arctic Stag" holiday card, so-nicknamed for its highly detailed image of a stag with a background of snowy mountains and starry skies, was a surprise find on a rainy spring day at the Brimfield Antique Show. I discovered it in a box of old photos and knew it was a must-have.



The card is striking in its simplicity, elegant white flowers provide an embossed frame for the monochromatic winter landscape glued to the thick card stock.  On the inside, swallows fly over the greeting printed in a curling, decorative font:

With Kind Regards and all
Good Wishes for Christmas and
the New Year   



While there is again, no printed date, I believe that it is from roughly early 1900s, about the same time as yesterday's card.

Most interesting is that this is one of my few cards that is branded by the manufacturer. The logo of a clover is on the back with the text "Hills & Co., Made in London, Unique Cards" in each of the petals.  Despite my best research efforts, I have not been able to find any information about the company.  If you have any clues that may help me learn more, please let me know.


Best of all is the inscription to "dear Maria" whom, with that simple greeting, I feel must have been as special as the card itself to the sender Mr. Riseon.




No comments:

Post a Comment